Continuing a review of the new National Cybersecurity Strategy, today I look at the second pillar, Disrupt and Dismantle Threat Actors. It’s heavy on collaboration, information sharing, and integrated response, and lays out five objectives that, on the surface, make sense:
- Integrate Federal Disruption Activities
- Enhance Public-Private Operational Collaboration to Disrupt Adversaries
- Increase the Speed and Scale of Intelligence Sharing and Victim Notification
- Prevent Abuse of U.S.-Based Infrastructure
- Counter Cybercrime, Defeat Ransomware
However, reading through the specifics of the five objectives, I see major challenges in achieving some of these. I’ll only address a few underlying issues in order to keep this more manageable.