The research indicates that organizations in the energy industry experienced the following between July 1, 2020 and June 30, 2021:
- 20% of energy employees were exposed to a mobile phishing attack in the first half of 2021, a 161% increase from the second half of 2020.
- 17.2% of all cyberattacks originating on mobile endpoints targeted energy organizations, making the industry the biggest target of cybercriminals and nation-state sponsored attackers.
- The average mobile app threat exposure rate was 7.6% — nearly double the average of all other industries combined.
- 56% of Android users were exposed to nearly three hundred exploitable vulnerabilities by continuing to run out-of-date versions of Android OS.
- Riskware and vulnerabilities were the cause of 95% of mobile app threats.
- Regional mobile phishing exposure rates: North America (11.2%), APAC (13.2%) and EMEA (15.8%).
- EMEA and APAC employees were 41% and 18% more likely to experience a mobile phishing attack than their North American peers.